Info At SMB College Life
www.smbcollegelife.com
New to SMB College Life
PSU Thon 2008
Get Involved!
Donate to help more college students!
More Interesting Info:
Wanna be here? Just Ask: contact@smbcollegelife.com
Wednesday, May 30, 2007



The college life, what a great thing. I've been working on a lot of independent research lately and mainly learning a lot about different things that really interest me. The bad part is that I think I've found something that interests me more than what I am currently studying in college. I got to thinking today: What if colleges offered courses geared more towards what I ultimately want to do in life, and what everyone else also wants - money. I feel as though I am wasting time and money sitting in a classroom this summer while I learn about something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I want in life, nor does it have anything to do with what I want to learn about. What if colleges offered degrees based around what a student wants to learn, and not what they think we should learn. Should I be sitting in a Biology class, learning about the human body when I really want to be a mechanical engineer? Should I have to take a pointless class on computer programming(which I'll probably never use) when I really want to learn about website developement and HTML codewriting? If I need a computer programming class I think that my school should offer a choice, and not make me take something that is pointless and outdated. I feel as though I'm being held back from my true potential from all of these pointless classes. I'm trying to understand the "well-rounded" education line that everyone tends to give me but I just can't see how that is effectively using my time. If I work for a mechanical engineering firm someday am I going to have to know how mylenation helps signal processes in neurons? Probably not. What about problem solving? Will I ever have to write a high level computer code that will take more time to write than it would for me to hand-solve the problem? I'd probably be fired if I wasted my time like this! So why is it that my college is teaching me how to "waste" my time with ineffective methods that would result in my termination in the work force? This completely blows my mind....

Labels:

posted by Shawn @ SMB College Life @ 3:02 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At May 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM, Blogger ATh0ught355 said…

    I agree to a small extent in that it does suck having to take classes that you don't want to take. However, the argument could be made that such classes are necessary in order for you to have a well rounded education, which will in turn result in you making more money when you get out of college. Just a thought : )

    -AThought355

     
  • At June 1, 2007 at 12:27 AM, Blogger Shawn @ SMB College Life said…

    Very true! I just think that If I could be more focused on one thing I might be able to be a lot more productive. At this point I just feel like I'm being pulled in many different directions instead of focusing on one thing. I also think that when I get out of college I will have to learn more about a specific job before I can preform the job required. I feel that I should be able to get a job and know what I'm doing there instead of having to learn what to do.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Join our VIP list to receive new post notifications!
www.smbcollegelife.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Or
Subscribe in a reader
Previous Post
Archives
College Search
Corporate Sponsors Include:

www.nittanywhiteout.com

$5 off $75 purchase today at 1800CONTACTS.com!

Apple Online Store

© 2007 SMB College Life Blog: Official Blog of www.SMBCollegeLife.com