Info At SMB College Life
www.smbcollegelife.com
New to SMB College Life
PSU Thon 2008
Get Involved!
Donate to help more college students!
More Interesting Info:
Wanna be here? Just Ask: contact@smbcollegelife.com
Professionalism in College
Saturday, December 8, 2007
I received an email from a professor late in the week concerning a late homework assignment and I thought it would be a great things to share with all college students. The story behind the email was that I completely missed a deadline on a homework assignment due to all the other things that were going on in my college life. I had to write a 1 page paper and email it to my professor by Wednesday, which I was under the assumption that it was due on Friday so I hadn't completed it. Luckily my professor sent me an email saying that I hadn't submitted the paper and that I should get it in a soon as possible. The first time I sat in front of my computer was Thursday morning, when I realized that the assignment was due on Wednesday instead of Friday. I wrote the assignment and submitted it that morning and went on with my day. When I submitted the assignment I clarified in the email that I understood that it was late and that if he did not accept it I was fine with that.

He accepted the late submission and replied to my email with some interesting advice. He basically stated that this late submission might be acceptable in college but will not be acceptable in the real world, while working the industry. He also stated that I should begin to practice my professionalism now because "late assignments and incorrect due dates will be a big problem in the real world." I was a little shocked at first by this email but as it sank in I began to understand where he was coming from.

The reason I am sharing this is because I believe it is great advice for all college students. The reason we are in college is to not only learn the things that we need to know to be successful in our fields but also to practice professionalism that we will use one day in the workforce. College is the time when we need to really focus on improving ourselves by becoming more organized, learning proper communication skills, being prompt and on time, and most importantly time management. These are only a few things that we need to improve within ourselves through our college lives. By taking our time in college seriously and making our faults better we can mold ourselves into professionals that will be very attractive to businesses and corporations when it comes time to search for a job.

This is the college life advice that I have for today. Because of my professor's email I was able to analyze some of the things that I still need to work on to make the transition from a student to a profession. Thanks doctor for your words of wisdom, and I hope that by passing them on they will help other college students to evaluate themselves to improve their professionalism. After all, that is why we chose to come to college in the first place!

Thanks for using SMB College Life!

Labels:

posted by Shawn @ SMB College Life @ 12:35 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Join our VIP list to receive new post notifications!
www.smbcollegelife.com

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Or
Subscribe in a reader
Previous Post
Archives
College Search
Corporate Sponsors Include:

www.nittanywhiteout.com

$5 off $75 purchase today at 1800CONTACTS.com!

Apple Online Store

© 2007 SMB College Life Blog: Official Blog of www.SMBCollegeLife.com